Thursday, October 8, 2009

Whaling Expedition

I've been taking some time between posts. In my defense, I've not had a weekend off. First NY, wherein I blame jetlag. This time around: Catalina Island. I'll blame motion sickness pills and (faux) pirates.


The Farr 40 sail


Cruising out of King Harbor


Sarah climbs the mast


Our first whale sighting


OMG. I don't think we could have been any closer (or we'd have to buy it lunch). We spent part of the trip following these whales. RAAAAAAD!


Arrival in Catalina, watching some piracy in action


Happy hour on the boat




The camp


I think there were real pirates out that night in "town."




Sunday morning walk to breakfast


Last year: turkey legs. This year, mini chicken legs and mini hat.


Ice cream from the General Store


Burying treasure!


A dinghy dressed for the occasion


The pirate flag nearly blowing away in the wind

Sarah had to climb up again to save the flag

If only we had a waterproof and well secured camera for the sail back home. It was SCARY! There was a small craft warning all morning, so we decided to wait until afternoon to leave. Unfortunately, we still had 30knots of breeze and 12 to 15 foot swells to contend with. I'm not going to lie, I was super scared. Thankfully, nobody was washed out of the boat. But we made home safe and sound (and drenched). Until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment